Friday, May 11, 2018

Saturday morning in Hervey Bay, Australia

It's cool here this morning, and I believe a cool front was in the forecast. It has been warm, but not uncomfortably so. My friend Barbara's mother Faye turned 80 yesterday, and there was a big party starting at noon yesterday. Friends had traveled from other areas in Australia to be a part of the celebration. There ,was lots of food, and several Pavlovas for dessert. That's a meringue cake with fruit on the top. The outside of the meringue is dry, but the inside is nice and moist. I have heard that it was especially made to honor the ballerina Pavlov.

We are going to Darwin Monday, and I have been told that it will be hot. Barbara is going to take me shopping later today to buy a pair of shorts, since my jeans will probably be uncomfortably hot.  Otherwise, I think today will be rather low-key compared to yesterday, which amounted to low-key partying from noon till bedtime. I crashed about 8:30, but I think some folks were intending to continue for quite a while.

My host and hostess Ron and Sue live across the street from Barbara's mother. The area is probably what God would have done if he'd had money. It's a gated community with palm trees and flowers everywhere. I think all the houses back up to water. There are black swans to be seen occasionally. Barbara's mother has orchids growing in her garden. I haven't seen much grass--too much trouble I suspect.

More later

No comments:

Post a Comment