Saturday, September 10, 2016

September 9, 2016 Count Down 
I just spoke to Joann, my traveling companion, and we're trying to decide on a tour in Madrid. The two we're considering are a Hop On, Hop Off tour with TourCrafters and the 3 hour City and Royal Palace Tour with Avanti. We're leaning toward the latter. If anyone has experience with either of these companies, I would enjoy hearing about it.

We plan to spend some time at the Prado, which appears to be within walking distance of our hotel, but I'm not good for much more than three hours in a museum, and I'd like to make the most of the one day that we'll have in Madrid.

Both of our sons are horrified that we're going to Africa, but according to a bit of research that I've done, Marrakesh is not only safe, it is very popular with French tourists, some of whom own property there. Joann and I have signed up for dinner in the Medina, the old fortified city, and a tour of the souk, which according to Wikipedia is "the largest traditional market in Morocco." I have also signed up for a hot air balloon ride, which promises a view of the Atlas mountains and includes breakfast in a Berber family home. Joann did not sign up for that experience and offered it to her son as evidence that she is actually more levelheaded that I am. So far, I don't think her son is convinced, probably because of other evidence to the contrary. Of course, that same evidence is one of my reasons for asking her to accompany me on this trip. My impression is that she has a strong sense of adventure without being foolish, which is more or less how I view myself. We'll see!




No comments:

Post a Comment