Thursday, May 10, 2018

Friday - Hervey Bay, Australia

Yesterday, we went to the Australia Zoo, which was founded by Steve Irwin's father. It is a world-class zoo. We spent about 5 hours there, and didn't see nearly all of it. Of course, we knew we wouldn't be able to see all of it, so we hose to visit exhibits that we don't have at the Sedgwick County Zoo. The highlight of my visit was having my photo taken holding a koala. Her name was Ruby, and she was very cuddly, but she needed her nails trimmed. Another animal that I had never seen before was a wombat, which was considerably larger than I had imagined--about the size of a large dog. The reptile house had a fair number of venomous snakes. It would be pretty scary to come upon one of those guys outside his cage. There were lots of koalas and kangaroos, and even a platapus.

Today is by friend Barbara's mother's 80 birthday party. Of course, this occasion is the main reason Barbara chose to come at this time. The party starts at noon-about an hour away. This part of Australia is 15 hours ahead of Wichita time.

Hervey Bay's climate is sub-tropical, so there are palm trees everywhere-- big ones, small ones, fat ones, and skinny ones. There are also flowers everywhere. This area reminds me of Palm Beech, Florica. I don't think there is very much carpet anywhere, and I love all the tile floors.

More later.

1 comment: