Saturday, May 19, 2018

This is our last night at Ayers Rock Resort. Tomorrow we take a plane to Sydney, spend the night there, and fly home May 21st.

This morning I took a bus trip to Kata Tjuta, sometimes called the Olgas. The most famous attraction of the Kata Tjuta National Park. It's a sandstone monolith that is world renowned for being a symbol of its indigenous culture.

A series of red sandstone domes surrounded by scrub under a blue sky
Kata Tjuta (The Olgas

We also stopped near Uluru, otherwise known as Ayers Rock. For the geologists, it is an insulberg, which is an isolated rock hill, knob, ridge, or small mountain that rises abruptly from a gently sloping or virtually level surrounding plain. The guide says that only about 1/3 rises above ground, about 2/3 is still below ground. I almost forgot to mention that the guy who drove us around is called Snakebite. He had a very strident voice, and he told us about several aboriginal myths, then proceded to spout poetry. One was "The Man From Snowy River," but I didn't catch the titles of the other two. Of course, I could only understand about 2/3 of what he said. In fact, I have trouble understanding some of these Aussies, 

Barbara and Herb walked 3/4 of the way around Uluru, which took about 4 hours. If I remember correctly, I have already posted something about Uluru. I'm ready to go to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment