Friday, September 16, 2016

I did a walking tour this afternoon: "The Marrakesh That Was." We boarded the bus in front of the hotel at 1:15, and were taken to The Medina--the old walled city. We walked and walked and walked and boarded the bus to return to the hotel about 5:00. First of all, it is pretty hot here, but also very dry, so the heat is somewhat more bearable than in Wichita. Our guide took us down numerous ally-ways, which were mostly pedestrian, but there are lots and lots of small motorcycles/mopeds that come zipping along. Today I saw one of them carrying four people on it--2 adults and 2 children. There are lots and lots of beggars here as well, indeed some very pathetic individuals. Everything looks ancient, and one is not impressed with the sanitation. We ended up at the main square, which probably covers at least 15 or 20 acres and there are lots of people selling things. I saw at least 3 groups of musicians and snake charmers. If you take photos, you are expected to give them a coin--about 50 cents. Some of the guys are also standing around holding snakes, and they offer to let people touch them. I even saw a boy--probably 10 years old--with one draped around his neck for a photo. I declined, but I did take a photo and donated a coin. I saw several cobras doing their thing. I'll try to post that photo when I come back from "Dinner in the Medina" this evening. We will be taken back to the walled city by a horse drawn carriage, I'll give a report on the food when I get back.

I'm back from dinner, which was quite an evening--although, I would confess before I'd do it again. We had cous-cous (boiled chicken with semolina and vegetables) as a main course. There was Morcocan music all during dinner, which is very repetitious, no decernable melody and lots of drumming--eventually quite irritating. There was also entertainent, first a woman who came out with a tray balanced on her head, and about 14 lighted candles on the tray. She danced for a long time, and eventually got down on the floor and danced with her hips-lasted way too long. Then there was a belly dancer--great body and scantilly clad, but again she danced for a very long time.

I just tried to upload a photo, but it was taking forever. I think it's the problem with the wifi in this hotel. I think I will probably just wait until I get home to put more photos on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment