Friday, May 24, 2013

May 24, 3:00 p.m. Paris (8:00 EST)

Eunice's family arrived about 8:00 a.m. at Charles DeGaulle airport. Eunice had stayed at a hotel near the airport last night so that she would be there to meet them. By the time they collected their luggage, passed through customs, and took the shuttle to the hotel it was after 11:00 a.m. I was waiting for them.

I had gone out to the Gare d'Austerlitz to buy my ticket to Orleans for tomorrow. I took the Metro back to Cite, where the flower market is. It was breathtaking, and I have lots of photos of flowers.

After Eunice and family got checked in and ready to move about we walked over to the Danton Cafe located on Blv. Saint Germain near the Odeo Metro stop. This cafe has become a favorite since we've been here. I'm sure that Hetty and I also took a meal or two there some years back. It always seems to be busy, probably because their prices are a little more reasonable than some, and the food is consistently good. Eunice's grandaughters and I had croque monsieurs--bread with ham and cheese, toasted under the broiler until the cheese melts and the bread is a bit crunchy--Eunice and Katy had salades Nicoise (in the style of Nice), which always consists of tuna, green beans (the little thin ones), boiled potatoes, black olives, and lightly dressed lettuce with anchovies draped across the tuna. Carl, Eunice's son-in-law had an omelette, and we shared a bottle of Bordeaux.
Afterwards, we walked to a bank so that they could get some money, then to the patisserie so that Eunice's youngest granddaughter could have some macaroons, then we came to my apartment. They were favorably impressed. Then we walked up to the Luxembourg Gardens, which will impress any American who admires beautiful flowers and trees. The French are wonderfully talented at creating beautiful gardens.

Since it is fairly cold and rainy, I came back to my apartment and left them to do as they pleased--perhaps go back to the hotel and rest. I don't think any of them slept on the plane coming over. I am now convinced that while I love Paris, I prefer it "when it sizzles," as opposed to when it's cold and rainy.

No comments:

Post a Comment