Monday, May 27, 2013

May 27, 8:27 p.m. Par4is (1:27 CST)

I'm still in Paris, and I'm just back from dinner at Le Danton, one of my favorite restaurants in Paris. It's not terribly expensive--as Paris prices go--and it's close to my apartment. I had "Saute de veau," a petit picher of Cote de Rhone, and ended with cafe creme--a cup of strong coffee with quite a lot of cream in it--about the size of an over-sized tea cup--probably about 8 oz. I met the most delightful woman from California, a retired librarian. I'm not sure what her name is, but I have her email address and she has mine. We were both sitting at little tables in the window of Le Danton, which was an excellent place for people watching.
Speaking of people watching in Paris, I have seen some of the most chic women as well as some of the tackiest. Almost everyone is wearing skin-tight jeans or just plain tights, including some who shouldn't be wearing either one. I've seen lots of piercings and lots of tatoos, but probably no more than in the U.S. In the final analysis, there's probably no better place in the world to just sit and stare at the people walking by than in Paris.

My pedometer is now up to 16,549 steps and 7.31 miles. That's not a record for me, but it's probably close to a record for this trip.

I'm pretty much packed and ready to leave tomorrow morning at 11:00. I may be able to have breakfast with Eunice before I leave and before she leaves to go to the Catacombs with her family--then on to Versailles. I don't envy that trip, but her youngest granddaughter is in France for the fist time, and of course it's understandable that she wants to go to Versailles. Eunice has decided to sit in a cafe while they are in the catacombs. I think she's wise. Once through the Catacombs is enough--glad I did it, but I don't want to do it again. I still haven't been to Pere Lachaise--maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment