Sunday, May 26, 2013

May 26, Orleans 10:05 am.m (3:10 am EST)

Fabienne and Eugenie were waiting for me when I arrived at Fleury-les-Aubrais station. We went directly to her apartment and she started lunch. Eventually, Mark and his son Quentin arrived. We began with pate on toast and an aperatif in the living room area, then went to the table for a rolled veal roast and little French green beans sauced with creme fraiche. Next came salad and cheese, and after that dessert: tiramisou that Fabienne had made. It tasted very similar to the tiramisou served at Cafe Maurice in Wichita. Of course, wine was served throughout.
Later, we went to Marc's apartment and from there walked into the center ville area of Orleans where a group that Marc knows was playing a rock concert at the Galleries Lafayette. Fabienne told me that this group is well-known in France and Canada. Marc had a long conversation with the band members after the concert. Fabienne and I walked around the area while Marc had coffee with the manager of Galleries Lafayette. I bought a set of porte-couteaux--little crystal things to rest a knife on at the dinner table. She had some, and I thought they were such a good idea--much easier than the American way of resting the knives on the plate after they have been used. (I stil remember being corrected by my ex for propping my knife on the plate as opposed to laying it cross-way on the plate.)

Today we will go to Chaumont to visit Fabienne's parents Bernard and Christiane. In addition it's "La Fete des Meres" today in France--Mother's Day. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Fabienne seemed to like the photo album that I made for her--using all the photos that she has sent me since her daughter Eugenie was born. I also put captions uncer the photos. I made a duplicate for her parents, so I'm hoping that they like it too.

Eugenie turned three in February, and she is a very mature three-year-old--and very prretty on top of that. Before we came home from town yesterday, we stopped at a wine bar for a glass of wine and Marc ordered a dozen oysters on the half shell. Eugenie ate her share. She would take her little fork and work the oyster loose from the shell, then put the oyster in her mouth. Next, she would put the shell to her mouth and drink the juice. Fabienne told methat she also likes caviar. I told Fabienne and Marc that one day some guy is going to have a wife with very expensive tastes.

Yesterday evening, we had shrimp, calamari, and muscles and Eugenie ate some of each. She's so cute taking the shrimp out of their shells. I think she was more adept than I was. I have taken photos of her, which I will put on my photo blog when I get home. She's a realy charming child.

As I write, I'm eating a breakfast cookie. I read on the label that it has 4 g. of fiber. It's very tasty, rather crisp, and not too sweet. The French are very good at making things that are not over-sugared.

I forgot to blog about the young Frenchman in Paris who bought my breakfast at McDo's (What the French call McDonald's). We were both there a few minutes before it opened, and
eventually, we chatted. I was first up at the counter and I ordered "le formule," the full meal deal, consisting of an egg mcmuffin with cheese and bacon, coffee, oj, and 3 vienoiseries--little flaky pastries. I took out my credit card, and the young man handed the cash to the waitress. I protested, but he insisted. I thanked him "Merci mille fois" (thank you a thousand times), and enjoyed my breakfast. McDonald's, by the way, is the absolutely cheapest breakfast in Paris. In a cafe or a hotel, one might pay 11 to 15 euros for a cup of coffee and a croissant. The formule at McDonalds is 5.90 euros.

I'll be back in Paris this evening. My train leaves about 5:30, and it takes about an hour. Fabienne made a reservation for on a shuttle to the airport May 28, where I have a reservation at a hotel. It's 19 miles from Paris to CDG, and I have always feared a traffic jam and missing my plane if I come from Paris on the day of the flight.

I've had a wonderful time, but as the time draws near to come home, I'm beginning to look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment