Sunday, May 26, 2013

Paris, May 26, 6:57 p.m. (11:57 a.m. CST)

Seeing Christiane and Bernard today and having a meal with them was a real treat--as always. They seemed enchanted with the album, which is mostly about their granddaughter Eugenie, but Christiane and Bernard as well as Fabienne and Marc also appear a few times.

Our meal began with hors d'oeuvres (pate de canard and bite-sized pieces of quich) and aparatifs (champagne) on the terrace. There was no rain at all today, and the sun was shining. It was a bit chilly, but worth it for the wonderful ambiance. Next, we went inside and had white asperagus with a sauce made of creme fraiche and a little vinegar--what a treat. Of course there's always bread on the table. The main course, which the French call the entree was porc Orlof and spinache. Next came the salade and the cheese course, and last the dessert, a rice pudding. After the food came the espresso and a digestif--three choices of brandy. As you can see, the French know how to make a most enjoyable meal. Christiane is a wonderful cook, and I believe that Bernard is responsble for the porc Orlof.

A little after 4, we started back to Orleans, actually Fleury-les-Aubrais, a subburb of Orleans so that I could catch my train back to Paris at 5:27. Chaumont-sur-Tharonne, where Christiane live is about 35 k. from Orleans. The train was on time, and no one even asked to see my ticket. I caught the Metro back to the area where my apartment is located, and for once I was able to make the key work without too many tries.

I'm not sure what I'll do on my last day in Paris, but I'll try to think of something I haven't done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment